Parks California is an ambitious new organization working to ensure that our state’s parks thrive. From redwood groves and desert springs to lighthouses and ghost towns, we’re working with our partners to make California parks more welcoming, accessible, and relevant to all visitors.
Managing these assets for nearly 40 million residents and millions more annual visitors takes collective work. Park managers cannot do it alone. Parks California harnesses skills and resources—and California’s renowned ingenuity—to help our state, regional, and local parks thrive and evolve.
Formed after extensive consultation with hundreds of stakeholders, park executives, and philanthropic leaders, Parks California stimulates and supports innovative public-private partnerships that raise the visibility of California’s parks and their partners, inspire passionate support for public lands, and set trends for the future of parks. Parks California attracts new public and private funding, and provides expertise and entrepreneurial approaches to high-priority projects and programs developed and implemented in collaboration with the Department of Parks and Recreation and other park districts across the state. Parks California coalesces a diverse set of partners to make this vision a reality. Parks California is committed to supporting and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the organization and its programs.
Business Operations Administrator will work on a day-to-day basis with the Executive Leadership team: President & CEO, Vice President of Operations & Finance, Vice President of Programs, and Vice President of Partnerships & Resources, as well as the rest of the Parks California team. The ideal candidate is someone who values state parks, thrives in a fast-paced environment, has skills and experience organizing and supporting people and processes, and enjoys handling multiple activities and tasks.
Business Operations Administrator is a full-time, exempt position and reports to VP of Operations & Finance. This position is located in Sacramento, CA.
Administration & Operations
- Work directly with President & CEO and help manage calendar, travel schedules, expense reporting, and other administrative tasks.
- Aid in preparing written materials needed for the Executive Leadership team, including, but not limited to, Board meeting materials, background documents, presentation decks, and informational documents.
- Coordinate all logistics for the Board meetings.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Leadership team and regularly assist with important decision-making processes related to Parks California’s efforts.
- Analyze, maintain, and identify opportunities to enhance operating processes and documentation of those processes, such as record-keeping in the accounting and CRM systems and document control.
- Assist with the HR matters including recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding.
- Responsible for ordering, keeping inventory and distributing Parks California branded items (e.g., pins, stickers, etc.).
- Administer portions of web applications for the Parks California team.
- Manage Parks California’s relationship with the IT contractor on all technology issues and serve as the first line of support for any IT problems encountered by staff.
- Monitor general and HR email inboxes; email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide reliable and consistent support before and after general working hours, when needed.
- Responsible for the overall office management of the headquarters in Sacramento and the satellite office in San Francisco.
Development & Programs
- Assist with managing event activities, such as, help with catering, invitation lists, and other event logistics.
- Provide support on ordering and purchasing of development collateral.
- Process check requests, deposit requests, and other administrative tasks.
- Maintain and update database of contacts for Development and Programs.
- Maintain the basic content on website – refresh copy and pictures.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong written and oral communication skills that ensures clear communications.
- Ability to interact with staff and board members, and external contacts in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner at all times.
- Ability to compose correspondence, documents, letters and memos that are concise, well-structured, and self-edited.
- Strong technical skills, including, but not limited to database management (CRM system), online platforms, and business applications.
- Ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, as well as anticipate informational needs as situations occur.
- A strong sense of urgency and the ability to re-prioritize quickly and accurately without being thrown off balance – comfortable dealing with the unexpected.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to work concurrently on multiple projects on a frequent basis.
- Ability to reason logically, take initiative, and creatively resolve issues and evaluate alternatives.
- Unwavering ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Comfortable working in a team, as well as independently.
- Independently manage time, handle pressure, and meet deadlines.
- At least 5 years of experience in a business administrative, office management or operations role.
- Ability and willingness to travel periodically.
A competitive compensation package, including a comprehensive benefits package, will be offered based on experience.
Interested candidates should apply via email by sending a cover letter describing their qualifications that match the position criteria and what they will bring to the role, along with a resume, to email@example.com with the subject line “Parks California, Business Operations Administrator Search.”
More information on Parks California can be found at https://parkscalifornia.org/.
Parks California is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that our overall effectiveness is enhanced when equity and inclusiveness are practiced and protected throughout our organizational governance, culture, and staffing. We are committed to leadership in and serving as a catalyst for promoting equity and inclusion in parks communities.